While we love helping pets in need, we also want to do everything we can to make sure you never have to create a Waggle campaign for your dog or cat. Easter is a great time for friends, family, and even pets, but this holiday can also be hazardous to cats and dogs. To avoid ending up at the emergency vet this Sunday, make sure your pet steers clear of these items this Easter.

Easter Holiday Pet Hazards





Because it contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, chocolate – especially dark and unsweetened varieties – is toxic to both dogs and cats when ingested. Eating chocolate can cause cats and dogs to experience diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, abnormal and elevated heart rates, and even seizures. In order to protect your pet this Easter, make sure any chocolate is kept out of their reach and be sure to contact your vet right away if you suspect they may have consumed any chocolatey treats.






While a bouquet of lilies might be the perfect addition to your Easter table, every part of this plant is extremely toxic to cats, including the flower, pollen, leaves, and even the water in the vase they’re displayed in. Consuming any part of a lily can cause cats to experience diarrhea, seizures, extreme thirst, vomiting, and lethargy, and it can result in kidney failure and even death. If you suspect your cat has ingested lilies, contact your vet immediately, and to have a safe and happy Easter, avoid this beautiful – but deadly – plant.




Plastic Grass


Even though it might seem no Easter basket is complete without a nest of plastic grass, this popular filler can be dangerous to both cats and dogs. In addition to gastroenteritis and pancreatitis, consuming plastic grass can cause your cat or dog to develop a bowel obstruction, requiring surgery to remove the offending object. Eating plastic grass can also result in bloating, pain, weight loss, dehydration, weakness, vomiting, and loss of appetite, so get in touch with your vet right away if your pet displays these symptoms.




Sugar-Free Sweets


While sugar-free candies, gum, and baked goods might be great for your waistline, they often contain xylitol, a sweetener that can be deadly to dogs. Because xylitol rapidly releases insulin into a dog’s bloodstream, it can cause them to experience a sudden drop in blood sugar. Xylitol toxicity can cause liver failure and it can even result in death, so if your dog begins showing symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and weakness, consult your vet immediately. To avoid this potential hazard, store foods containing xylitol out of your dog’s reach.




Alcoholic Beverages


If you want to enjoy a glass wine of wine, beer, or even a cocktail this Easter, feel free to imbibe, but make sure you keep any alcoholic beverages away from your pets this Sunday. Consuming alcohol can cause dogs and cats to experience sudden drops in blood sugar and body temperature, which can lead to respiratory failure and seizures. If your pet begins gagging, drooling, or vomiting, or they appear disoriented or lethargic this Easter, they may have ingested alcohol and you should consult your vet right way.